Saturday, May 16, 2009

It's Deep (The Abyss - The Director's Cut)

"I drown, and you tow me back to the rig," is the line delivered with logic and confidence by Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio's Lindsey Brigman. As Bud (Virgil as Lindsey like to call him) tries to argue with her knowing he won't win the debate, she explains that he's already wearing the wet suit and that the rig's crew can resuscitate her. He's the stronger swimmer. The water is near freezing, and that will make it easier to resuscitate her. It's the only play - really. With the plan firmly set, water continues to fill the stranded submarine. "No! No! No! I don't want to die," she weeps as logic is battled by her on survival instinct and reality of the rising water sets in - she's going to die. This scene begins the end of a Sci-Fi, action thriller and begins a somber, beautiful drama about sacrifice, loss and the humanity that makes some beyond human.

One of the most difficult things, for me, is writing about movies I didn't buy and put on our shelf. This would be one of them. I didn't dislike The Abyss but I can't say it is anything I would want to watch again. I appreciated the story but the bubbly water sounds soothed me in and out of sleep while I was watching it this second time. I think, perhaps, this may have been the case when I watched it for the first time as well. I do have several types of movies I really enjoy and this just doesn't fit into the genres selected.

I guess the majority of this one will be on me then - which is fine, because tonight we're watching Across the Universe. I'm sure that Alicia will be much more responsive to writing about that. What else is there to say about The Abyss? After Titanic, many hastled Cameron for "King of the World" proclimation at the Oscars - and his reputation suffered for it. He was perceived by many as childish - and by extension his films were as well. That doesn't change the fact that he made some great movies. The Abyss is one of them. It's no secret that Titanic was given to him on the technical reputation he received after completing this. Estimates are that nearly 40% of the scenes in this movie are filmed underwater in a containment building at an unfinished nuclear power plant. The movie is now twenty years old and stands the test of time from a visual point of view due to Cameron's access to the facility. The Director's cut gives us a new theme that adds tremendous meaning to the film. With aliens considering to destroy most of mankind due to their inability to live peacefully - those same aliens witness multiple acts of kindness and sacrifice from Bud and his crew.

Though Cameron will be remembered for The Terminator, T2 and Titanic (how many T-movies does this guy have -- 3), his ground breaking FX from T2 started in The Abyss - look at the scene in which the aliens observe on the crew of the rig using water as there harmless supterfuge. Top those ground breaking FX with Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Michael Biehn's (Oscar buzzed - though didn't receive a nod) performances and you have a movie that stands the test of time and tests timeless themes. I strongly urge those of you who love SciFi to own this movie - so long as you find the Director's Cut. I also believe that you'd watch this time and again noticing something interesting about the film with each viewing. This is one of those movies who Special Effects also stand the test of time - bringing us back to watch it believing that a story like this is really something that could take place in the near future. Oh, and it's deep. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment